For many people, junk food is not just an occasional indulgence but a true addiction. Our society does us no favors with its constant promotion of fast food, sweets and energy drinks. To simply say that we need to eliminate sugars and junk from our diets isn't enough- frankly, it's a hard task to take on. But, it's a necessary war to wage if you want to see dramatic changes in your appearance and over all well being. Denis Faye recently wrote a great article for the Beachbody newsletter in which he shared how he conquered his addiction to junk food. He states that it took him over 10 years to finally rid himself of his constant overeating and that it took a concerted effort to do so. The following are some of his tips to a healthier, junk-food-free life. To read the article in its entirety, including his story, head over the the Beachbody newsletter here.

6 Ways to Conquer Junk Food Habits

  1. Get rid of all the junk food that is in your home. You can't snack or binge on it if it's not there. Refill your empty shelves with healthy options like baby carrots, fresh fruit, etc.
  2. Strive for clean eating 80% of the time. The other 20% should be left to give yourself a break. The reality is, you will have moments of weakness. Faye suggests assigning one day a week to a treat- like Cookie Friday.
  3. Make eating healthy a ritual. Although there is no scientific proof, habits tend to form after about 21 days. So, make an effort to stick to your healthy snacking for that long and chances are the practice of healthy eating will become first instinct.
  4. Carry healthy foods with you. If you have a healthy option with you at all times you are less likely to grab whatever is available (typically cookies, fast food, or vending machine options).
  5. Adverse to certain fruits or veggies? Try some you've never had before so you don't have an opinion about them yet. Farmer's markets are full of variety- you are sure to find something you like.
  6. If you have to binge, do it on healthy options first. Fill up on fruits or veggies, so if the worst happens (i.e. ice cream or chips) you will have already filled up on the good stuff.

Obviously these tips may not work for everyone, but they offer any junk food junky a few ways to start on their journey to clean eating.



If you have any questions or would like free coaching and advice on your fitness journey, please email us: melissa@monsterhomefitness.com